Saturday, 2 April 2016

White Nights Watercolours Review

I recently purchased a set of  12 White Nights watercolors and have been trying them out in my bird and landscape paintings. I must admit that these are my new favorite watercolors.
I own multiple watercolor brands, however i find myself getting this set out every time i'm about to start a new painting. I would really like to have the 36 pan set, however they were not available in the local store where i usually buy my materials.


What i really like about these paints is that they are very creamy and pigmented. The colors are very bright and they do not have a big color shift once they dry. So what you see when the color is wet, is pretty much what you will get as a final result. 
They pans stay creamy after using them and they do not crack or dry excessively. This way when you start to paint with them again they are ready to mix with just a little bit of water.  

The colors mix very well together and you can obtain a lot of nice shades even with the set of 12. 
They can be either transparent or opaque depending on the pigment / water ratio used. 
This is great if you want to cover previous layers. 
You can also obtain beautiful washes and overlay colors when you dilute them with more water.

Most of the colors have good light-fastness (as also stated on the producer's website) so they are safe to use for professional works that need to last a lifetime. Some of the colors (especially the blues and browns) lift very easy, so if you make a mistake or want to add some highlights you can lift the pigment by using a harder brush. 

Overall it's a very versatile product and great value for money. They are definitely in the more affordable range of artist grade materials. The small set is perfect for taking with you on the go, as it offers a good variety of colors and can use the lid of the box as a mixing palette. 

I whole heartily recommend these, if they are available in your region give them a try!
I will make sure i stock on a few sets to introduce them during my summer workshops. 

I am not affiliated with the company that makes them and this is just my personal review and opinion. I always like to share quality art materials and i was really impressed with these watercolors!

If you want to see a color chart of the full 36 range and the light-fastness of each color here is a link to the producer's website: http://www.nevskayapalitra.ru/eng/brands/white_nights





No comments:

Post a Comment