Saturday, 30 April 2016

ToyColor Watercolor paint

It has been a busy week with a lot of custom orders and work around the house. This left me with little time to update my blog and facebook page.

I received a few boxes of watercolors from ToyColor to try and to give my opinion on them.
I first tried the 24 set of watercolors below



These watercolors are suitable for hobby and school.
Using this set i made the painting below (the painting is entirely made using these watercolors)


It's always a challenge to change from professional grade materials!
Here is what i think about these paints.

Plus points: 
I like the color range, especially the turquoise and flesh color. I used the flesh color on the flowers and mixed with the pink it created a very nice gradient. 

You can make nice pastel shades with them. 

The colors are transparent and you can easily layer colors on top of each other to achieve different tones. 

The pigments are liftable, so if you make a mistake it is easy to fix. 

The box can be folded in half and is practical to carry around.

The plastic cover can be used as a mixing pallet. 

Minus Points:
Some of the colors are not very pigmented( the blue, yellow and orange), but the browns, black and reds seem to have more pigment. Overall the pigment level varies per color. 

The cakes are quite hard and you need to add a lot of water to release the pigment.

They don't really blend with each other when using a wet on wet technique. If you put 2 wet colors next to each other they do not merge. They also seem to stay on top of the paper. 

The sets come only with a flat brush. In my opinion a round brush would also be nice to have (for the painting above i used a Winsor & Newton cotman round synthetic brush as i almost never paint with flat brushes)


Overall its a good school and hobby set, but there is always room for improvement! :)

I'm looking forward to try the pearly/ metallic watercolors. I think those would be really great for crafting, layering and art journaling. 
I will post a review about those soon!

Stefan



No comments:

Post a Comment